How Ammonia in Drinking Water is Harming You


How Ammonia in Drinking Water is Harming You


Ammonia is a product of decayed organic nitrogen compounds. It is also highly soluble in water. Although it is commonly used, and found in water, it is extremely hazardous to the human body. It is a colorless odor with a strong, distinguishable odor. It is typically used in cleaners, but can also be found in certain foods, air, fertilizes, and water.

How It Gets Into Drinking Water

The most common way ammonia finds its way into water is through agricultural runoff. It is often used in fertilizers and can easily find its way from fields to water supplies.

It is also put into water as a disinfectant to try to clean out other contaminants.

Health Risks Of Consuming Ammonia

Ammonia has not been found to have any serious long-term health effects such as an increased cancer risk or birth defects. It does however present some major shot-term risks.

Small Amounts

Long-term exposure to even a small bit of ammonia can cause damage to the human body. Long-term ingestion of water with as little a 1ppm of ammonia can be damaging to internal organs. It can also cause issues in the lungs, nervous system, and kidneys as well as irritation in ears, nose, and throat.

Large Amounts

Water with more than 100ppm of ammonia can cause severe burning and scarring on skin and mucus membranes.

How To Know If There Is Ammonia In Your Water

Ammonia is colorless, but has a strong odor. If your water is odorous, it may be caused by ammonia. Although ammonia cannot be soundly detected by scent, it is a good give away. The only way to know if it ammonia you are smelling or another pollutant, is to have your water tested. If there is ammonia in your water, a water test will also be able to tell you if it is at a dangerous level.

By | 2018-11-27T17:34:22-05:00 November 27th, 2018|

About the Author: